Many small business owners are caught between not having enough time to market their business and not having enough money to hire someone to market their business. But I’m here to say that if you can be disciplined enough to manage your time you WILL be able to do some of your own online marketing. Especially when it comes to using social media as a marketing tool.
Here are my tips…
1) You want to be shameless about asking your past, present and new clients to follow you on your social media programs. You want to create a flyer (printed or virtual) with your facebook, twitter, google plus, etc. information and you certainly want to put all your social media programs on your business card, on your receipts, everything that has your name on, everything that you hand out. Take the extra step and create a step by step list on how your clients can give you reviews, Like you, etc. from each social media program.
2) Make sure all your social media programs are also listed on your website. I recommend that every small business should have, at the very least, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google Plus. If you end up making videos you should create your own channel at Youtube and then you would add your Youtube channel to your list of social media programs. If your target audience includes women then I strongly recommend Pinterest.
3) Create a schedule for yourself. You want to be 2 – 3 months ahead of time. It’s September 25th as I write this post so that means the holidays are less than 3 months away. You should be writing about your niche business as it relates to the holidays. If you can write 2 articles a week and keep yourself 2 – 3 months ahead of time, you’ll give yourself some “space” to write AND you’ll feel in control of the project.
4) One of the very best ways to write (especially if you’re not a writer) is to simply answer questions and give out information. If you’re REALLY an expert in your field then it will be very easy to do this. You can certainly begin by writing down the questions and answers that you most often get from your customers. But to find out what Internet users are searching for, I use a program called Ubersuggest.org
Here’s how I use Ubersuggest…
step one – to get general ideas just type in a phrase (i.e. – tankless water heaters)
step two – to find questions people are searching the answer for type in the phrase and add the words how, what, when, where, do, does, why, if, should, who)
(an example is: how tankless water heaters)
step three – once you have this list of phrases you want to start answering them. You can have long answers, short answers, etc.
6) Use your social media writing to inform your customers, not to sell. Just imagine your customers standing in front of you and write as if you were talking to them. It’s as easy as that.
7) If you find a great video or resource, don’t be afraid to share the link. You want to show that you have authority but you also need to show that know where other sources of information can be found.
8) How to get more followers.
NOTE: DO NOT use any company that claims to give you more followers. Google is cracking down on this so the only real way to increase followers is to do it the right way.
Tip #1 – the more people you follow, the higher the chances are that you will get more followers.
Tip #2 – the more information you put out, the higher the chances are that you will get more followers.
Tip #3 – don’t just put out information on your social media, you also want to engage. So, leave comments, like, share, etc.
In conclusion, it’s all about having a plan and knowing how to use the tools. Nothing I’ve suggested here costs any money and once you’ve set up your schedule and familiarized yourself with the tools, the process will not take up much time. So, good luck.