A client asked me today if it was alright to use Youtube videos on their website. Other people’s Youtube videos. I honestly wasn’t 100% sure. So, I did a little investigation.
Here’s what I found…
1) As usual – there were many different articles with many different views on the matter. So, if you ever do any research on the Internet, make sure you look at multiple sites.
2) Another trick I use in Google is to click on “Search tools” option at the top of the page and change the “Any time” option to “Past year” or “Past month”. That way I am sure to get the latest information on what I’m researching.
3) As for the Youtube embed and copyright issue it seems that in August of 2012 the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that embedding videos in your blog or website is NOT a copyright infringement. Cool!
4) There were 4 little tidbits about Youtube videos in this article and I thought they were very interesting….
- 2 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube every month
- 500 years of YouTube video are watched each day on Facebook
- 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute
I can’t even fathom the “500 years of YouTube video” being watched on Facebook every single day!! Really?!! How can so many people have so much time to do this? Amazing.
Well, bottom line is that if you find a YouTube video that explains some information that you want to share with your audience, you can do so without worry.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported.